Low Isles lighthouse
History · Heritage

The Low Isles Light

Built in 1878, one of Queensland's most distinctive historic lighthouses — and a vital aid to navigation along the inner Great Barrier Reef for nearly 150 years.

Authorisation for the construction of a lighthouse on Low Island was sought in a letter of February 5, 1876 — directing the immediate attention of the Colonial Architect, F.G.D. Stanley, to the works.

It was not until May 29, 1877 that plans were prepared and tenders called. The tender by William Peter Clark was approved — to erect a lighthouse and cottage for £3,195, to be completed within seven months. On August 24, 1878 it was reported that W.P. Clark had completed his contract. The light was first exhibited in mid-November 1878.

The light is described as a revolving dioptric light of the 3rd order on a tower 65 feet above the level of high water, achieving its greatest brilliancy (1,000,000 candelas) every minute. It was the tenth lighthouse commissioned by the Queensland Government, helping create the longest shipping lane in the world.

The lighthouse was upgraded to electric operation in 1963. In 1992, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority announced the removal of lighthouse keepers and automation of the light. The last keeper left in 1994. The lighthouse is now controlled by Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service.

Information supplied by the Australian Marine and Safety Authority.

Commissioned
10th lighthouse commissioned by the Queensland Government
First lit
Mid-November 1878 — first keeper Captain Daniel Owen
Tower height
65 feet above high water — 3rd order revolving dioptric light
Builder
William Peter Clark — contract £3,195
Automated
1993 — solar conversion, 16 nautical mile beacon installed
Heritage listing
Commonwealth Heritage listed lightstation
Inside the lighthouse

The lantern room & interior

Low Isles lighthouse upper interior
Upper interior
Original Fresnel 3rd order lens
Original Fresnel 3rd order lens
Lantern room overlooking osprey nest
Lantern room overlooking osprey nest

The original light is now at the Court House Museum, Port Douglas

The original 1878 Fresnel lens from the Low Isles lighthouse is on display at the Douglas Shire Historical Society's museum.

🏛 Museum visiting hours →